Vintage style light bulbs fill the frame

Electrical Safety Tips to Know

Just like running water in your home, electricity plays a huge part in your day-to-day. From turning on the lights in your kitchen to powering on the television in your living room, there are a series of things that heavily rely on electrical currents.

However, to keep your home out of potential harm, there are some safety tips that all homeowners should know when it comes to electricity.

Electrical Safety Tips for All Homeowners

Warm Outlets Spell Danger

Picture this: you’re about to plug your phone charger into a nearby outlet in your kitchen. However, upon inserting the prongs into the outlet, it feels rather hot to the touch. While some homeowners might overlook this, it’s dangerous to have present in your home.

One possibility of why this happens is that you might have too many objects plugged into a single outlet. Of course, the best procedure (if you believe this is the case) is to unplug a few of the cords and see if that makes a difference — since there’s a chance you could have been drawing too much power from it. However, if that doesn’t make a difference, then there might be a loose wire residing behind the outlet — and you should stop use immediately, followed by getting it repaired by a licensed electrician right away!

Use Extension Cords Properly

A common sight in most homes is that a homeowner will overload an extension cord — especially around the holiday season. And when this happens, that could lead to a potential electrical fire. The reason being is that if there are too many objects relying on one source for electricity (similar to overloading a wall outlet), then that can overwork the cord, putting you and your loved ones in harm’s way.

That said, if you’re looking to use an extension cord around your home safely, there are some essential tips to notate. First, make sure that the cord you intend to use will provide the appropriate amount of power for the object you’ll be using it for. Second, it’s essential to check if the extension cord is intended for indoor or outdoor use — especially if you’re using it in nature.

Unlike domestic cords, those that are intended for the great outdoors are meant to handle the elements and have less of a chance of sparking a potential danger; indoor cords possess extreme danger if used in your yard. Finally, you’ll want to make sure that the cord doesn’t have any visible damage — and indeed, do not, by any means, puncture it to secure the cord to a wall or surface.

Discolored Outlets are a Hazard

Sometimes, it’s possible that outlets can appear as if they are burned — especially if the outlet’s cover has tinges of brown. And often, this is the result if there is damage to this vital power source. Another thing to be mindful of is that if an outlet smells as if it’s burning or you hear a strange array of noises coming from it— these are all causes for concern.

The minute that you happen to see, hear, or smell any of these signs, it’s urgent to stop using the outlet right away and call your licensed electrician as soon as possible. And, of course, if you do not have experience handling electrical work, do not try to attempt to fix the problem on your own — that could pose a considerable potential to risk to not only your home but your overall well-being.

When it Comes to Electrical Work, Let the Professionals at Centennial Plumbing, Heating & Electrical Help!

Whether it’s whole house surge protection, replacing an outlet, rewiring your home, and more, we’re the team you’ll want to call to get the job done! Give us a call at (306) 500-1296 to schedule your appointment with Centennial Plumbing, Heating & Electrical today!