Air pollution is a serious problem. The World Health Organization, or WHO, estimates that 7 million people die from air pollution-related causes every single year around the world. Even if you feel good about the air that you breathe every day, the fact is that perfectly clean air is extremely rare in our modern world.
CO (Carbon Monoxide)
Let’s start with one of the most serious, and most common, air pollutants: carbon monoxide. This chemical can enter your home as a byproduct of a poorly installed gas furnace. The tricky thing about carbon monoxide? It is completely odorless.
Here are the health symptoms that indicate a possible CO leak:
Loss of Consciousness
Additionally, there are physical signs that you may have carbon monoxide leaking into your home. Here are the things to keep an eye out for:
Flickering yellow or red pilot light on your furnace
Soot deposits near your furnace, especially at its connections. I
f you are experiencing any of the problems, listed above, have your home inspected for carbon monoxide immediately. And, if you do not have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, have them installed as soon as possible.
Mold not only affects the materials it grows on, but it can also have a harmful impact on your indoor air quality. As mold spores are likely to become airborne, they pose a serious threat to the health of you and your loved ones.
Mold loves warm, moist environments. It can foster and grow in humid or wet spaces overnight. That is why it’s vital to take care of any water leaks or plumbing malfunctions as soon as they occur. Additionally, keep your attic and basement well ventilated to prevent moisture from accumulating in these spaces.
Controlling humidity in your home is imperative to keeping your space mold-free. Ideally, you want your indoor humidity levels to remain between 30% and 50%. Humidity levels above 50% are likely to lead to mold growth, and humidity below 30% can irritate respiratory functions for those living in your residence.
If you notice that your allergies are acting up, or your asthma is exacerbated, mold may be the cause of your recent attacks. And, for those who have weak immune systems, mold can cause detrimental health implications. If you notice a musty scent in your home or anticipate mold growth, it is essential you have your home inspected immediately.
Cigarette smoke, pollen, bacteria, dust, and viruses are widespread. However, a clean air filter can stop most of these airborne contaminants from entering your space.
It’s vital that you replace your media air filters every month! Leaving an air filter in your system for longer than a few months will deem that air filter useless. If you have an electronic air filter in your home, these still require cleaning!
For more increased indoor air quality coverage, consider installing a UV-based system! This air purifier will disinfect the air in your home, reducing the chances of virus spread. As a proactive air filter, UV systems not only catch harmful bacteria, they neutralize all particles, destroying any infectious aspects.
Centennial Plumbing, Heating & Electrical is here to keep your home’s indoor air quality top-notch! Feel free to give us a call at (306) 500-1296 or fill out an online contact form to set up an appointment for any of your indoor air quality and maintenance needs!